Friday, March 13, 2009

Praise in the Midst of Trial

Read: Psalm 6

There are many times in life when we suffer from physical illness and spiritual apathy. The Lord often uses these times to speak to our hearts if we are willing to listen.
The Psalmist was sick and felt that his sickness was a consequence of his sin. This type of thinking is called retributive justice. Retributive justice is when one receives what they deserve. However, retributive justice is not Biblical. God called Job blameless and upright (Job 1:8). Why would God allow evil to be inflicted by Satan on a blameless and upright man? Retributive justice means Job did not deserve the evil God allowed. However, Job’s perseverance through a time of trial led to a double blessing from God. This is not to say that we will all receive a double blessing from God when we persevere through trials, but God does bless perseverance.
James says to “consider it pure joy” when we “face trials of many kinds, because you know the testing of your faith develops perseverance” (James 1:2-4). Perseverance leads to maturity. When we persevere through trials we are blessed with a deeper mature faith and relationship with Christ.
The Psalmist recognized that in spite of his sickness he must continue to praise the Lord. He cries for God’s mercy to deliver him. In verse five he pleads for his life so that he might continue to praise the Lord. “Who praises you from the grave (Psalm 6:5)?”
In spite of sickness and in spite of trials we must continue to persevere and praise God. He is worthy of all our praise. In our trials we should cry out to God, like the Psalmist, because God desires that communion relationship with his children.
A favorite song of mine is, If You Want Me To, by Jenny Owens. I believe it has one of the best lyrics of any song I have heard. Read the words below. I pray it blesses you as it has blessed me. I will also post a link to the song so that you may listen while you read.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMKp4g_ZrGk

If You Want Me To
The pathway is broken
And The signs are unclear
And I don't know the reason why You brought me here
But just because You love me the way that You do
I'm gonna walk through the valley
If You want me to

Chorus:
Cause I'm not who I was
When I took my first step
And I'm clinging to the promise You're not through with me yet
so if all of these trials bring me closer to you
Then I will walk through the fire
If You want me to

It may not be the way I would have chosen
When you lead me through a world that's not my home
But You never said it would be easy
You only said I'd never go alone

So when the whole world turns against me
And I'm all by myself
And I can't hear You answer my cries for help
I'll remember the suffering that Your love put You through
And I will walk through the darkness
If You want me to

’Cause when I cross over Jordan
Gonna sing, gonna shout,
Gonna look into Your eyes and see You never let me down
So take me on the pathway that leads me home to You
And I will walk though the valley
If You want me to

Yes, I will walk through the valley
If You want me to