Monday, February 23, 2009

Entourage

Read: Psalm 1:1

People you associate yourselves with can have a profound influence on your life. When I was young, and I was “searching for myself,” I experimented with many different hair styles, clothing styles, and personality styles. In my struggle for individuality I noticed three influences in my life that remained constant: my father, mother, and God. I allowed my individuality to be determined by those around me. I was really no individual at all. I was merely another member of a different group. Many of my friends professed Christianity but did not honor God, and my attitude became a mirror image of the attitude of my friends. I professed Christianity, but I did not honor God. The Bible is very clear about how Christians should live. Galatians gives us a list of character traits a growing Christian will possess (Galatians 5:22ff). Many of my friends did not help build my faith, but they hindered my faith. The psalmist says that a man is blessed if he does not walk side by side with the wicked, stand with sinners, or sit with those who mock Christianity and the things of God. Your friend should help you develop a closer relationship with God. Ask yourself the following questions: Who do you hang out with? What does your entourage look like? Do your friends help you grow in your faith, or do the subtly hinder your relationship with God?

Discussion question:

How would you define individuality?